Jarmila Wolfe’s Australian Open preparation has been dealt another blow with a first-round loss at the Hobart International.
The Slovakian-born Australian on Monday looked strong in the early stages of her match against Japanese qualifier Naomi Osaka, but was overcome 6-7 (6-8) 7-6 (10-8) 6-4.
“Despite the result there were good things in it,” Wolfe said.
“Overall I served well, I had 13 aces, returned somewhat decent otherwise I wouldn’t get 14 break points, I played the games well.”
The 28-year-old who won the Hobart title in 2011 and progressed to 25th in the world the same year, has battled health problems recently including a condition similar to glandular fever.
“Even this morning I woke up and my whole body was in pain and my throat was sore and that pretty much is the sign of travelling and trying to catch up in practice and my body doesn’t quite function well,” Wolfe said.
“Pretty much that’s what I work with on a daily basis.
“The same thing happened to me when I came to Hopman Cup.”
Partnering Lleyton Hewitt in Perth last week the duo had an unsuccessful Hopman Cup campaign against Ukraine.
But Wolfe is still confident of turning around her fortune, including at Melbourne Park.
“If I can manage to stay healthy and play well, I’m sure I can get there,” said the world No.105 who has previously indicated her desire to represent Australia in singles at the Rio Olympics and reach a top-50 ranking in 2016.
“I’m just going to take it as it comes, see who I play and try to prepare for (the Open) as much as I can.”