The federal government insists a missed deadline on a plan to roll out the national disability insurance scheme does not mean it will be put off.
States and territories were on Monday due to sign bilateral agreements setting out assistance packages for more than 400,000 Australians with disabilities.
Labor has accused the government of dragging its feet on the negotiations, saying the missed deadline indicates the full scheme could also be delayed.
Opposition disability spokeswoman Jenny Macklin says people with disability deserve certainty around the care and support needed.
“Tony Abbott could sign these today to show his commitment to rolling out the NDIS on time and in full,” she said in a statement.
But the government says it’s still working on the agreements to map out the best way of doing it.
Assistant Social Services Minister Mitch Fifield says negotiations are going well.
“This does not impact on our ability to begin transition to full rollout from July 2016,” he told AAP in a statement.
“These are detailed phasing and funding arrangements, and we and our state and territory partners are determined to get the rollout right,” he said.
The NSW government says it has an “iron-clad” commitment to deliver the NDIS.
Disabilities minister John Ajaka told AAP in a statement he was looking forward to announcing future rollout dates “shortly”.
Close to 18,000 people are so far receiving packages as part of seven trial sites around the country.
There are concerns the full transition could be delayed because of the scheme’s estimated $37 billion costs over four years.